United Way of Central New York’s Equity and Anti-Racism Statement.
(Board approved & adopted December 2021)
Equity, diversity, and inclusion are at the heart of what it means to live united; being an equity-focused, diverse, and inclusive organization is fundamental to achieving our mission: creating a community in which every person can live, grow, learn, work, play, and thrive.
• We recognize that individual, interpersonal, systemic, structural, and institutional racism, ethnic discrimination, and other forms of oppression have created inequities that have existed in the past and persist in the present.
• We acknowledge those inequities are the result of historic and ongoing policies and practices that marginalize entire populations.
• We support and advocate for anti-racism, stand against ethnic discrimination and all forms of oppression to improve the well-being and vitality of our community.
• We will not discriminate against others on any legally recognized basis including but not limited to: veteran status, marital status, physical or mental disability, race, ethnicity, age, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, domestic violence victim status, or familial status.
• We work to dismantle inequities and engage community members, especially those whose voices have traditionally been marginalized, in the shared work of fortifying equity and empowerment.
• We work to build awareness, utilize best practices, develop the competency within the social services ecosystem, and identify and address inequities that are disproportionately faced by LGBTQ+ members of our community.
• We engage public and private partners to co-create solutions that ensure everyone is heard and has the resources, support, opportunities, and networks they need to thrive.
United Way of Central New York commits to leveraging all our assets, including convening community stakeholders, making strategic investments, raising awareness, relevant advocacy, and assessing community progress, to create a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive community.